Learn the amazing benefits of neem oil for skin, and how you can incorporate it into your routine with safe and natural products! I first heard of neem being used in toothpastes, because it’s effective in reducing bacteria that cause cavities and decreasing plaque in the process. It’s only recently that I’ve heard of it being used in skin care products for a variety of benefits, and I was fascinated when I learned more about it and how amazing it is for so many skin issues!
What is Neem Oil?
Neem is an herb that’s been used for thousands of years in India for traditional remedies. Neem oil is extracted from the seeds of the neem tree, and has been used in medicine, skin care, hair care, and even pest control. It’s contains powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal components, such as azadirachtin (natural insecticide), vitamins C and E, carotenoids, linoleic acid, oleic acid, and nimbidin, which is known to have potent antihistamine and antiseptic properties.
Benefits of Neem Oil for Skin
I was so amazed to find all the benefits that neem oil has on our skin health! It’s basically the unicorn of skincare, and is very popular in India in many of their products for this reason.
- Great for dry skin. Because neem oil contains vitamin E and also rich in healthy fatty acids, it’s great for healing cracked dry skin by penetrating into the skin. It also locks in moisture to smooth out the skin texture.
- Clears out acne. Neem oil is naturally anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial, so it’s great for removing bacteria from your skin and combatting acne. It also soothes redness and known to reduce acne scars as well! I also love that it won’t dry out the skin like other products that target acne
- Combats wrinkles. Did you know that neem also promotes collagen production, which is amazing for anti- aging? It’s also rich in vitamin E, which reduces free radicals in the skin to reverse damages and keep your skin supple. Don’t mind me while I bathe myself in neem oil.
- Evens out skin tone. As someone who struggles with uneven skin pigmentation, I love this one! Hyperpigmentation of the skin can happen with the overproduction of melanin, and neem oil balances out the melanin secretion to lighten up dark spots. It’s especially great for spot treatment!
- Reduce inflammation for eczema. Neem has been known to reduce redness and inflammation for eczema and relieve dry itchy skin. It’s an effective emollient, which prevents loss of moisture and helps build a protective layer over the skin.
- Nature’s insecticide. One of the ingredients in neem is azadirachtin, a powerful and natural pest and insect repellant. I usually like to avoid any kind of commercial bug repellants because they are so full of harmful chemicals, so I’m excited to add a neem based product the next time I’m hiking or camping!
After learning about all the benefits of neem oil, one of the safe and toxin free skin care products I found that contained it was Nubian Heritage‘s Indian Hemp Haitian Vetiver line. It’s a new-to-me brand that uses ingredients and methods inspired by ancient rituals passed through communal wisdom. How cool is that? And best of all, they focus on culturally authentic ingredients which are ethically sourced and safe for the skin.
So far, I’ve been using the body wash, body lotion, and deodorant, and I’ve been loving them! They smell amazing from a combination of essential oils and no harsh fragrances, and they’ve been really gentle on the skin.
I especially love the body wash, because it lathers easily but leaves my skin really hydrated, and using the lotion afterwards really gives my skin an extra layer of moisture all day. The aluminum-free deodorant kept me smelling fresh for 12 hours straight on a hot summer day, and a little goes a long way without staining any of my clothes! I’ve been using these products for 2 weeks now with no complaints.
Along with neem oil, Indian Hemp Haitian Vetiver line uses hemp oil, which is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids for that added anti-inflammatory benefit. I just love how soothing these products are, and more importantly, they contain clean and safe ingredients that are organic and fair trade! You can order these products through Nubian Heritage’s website, but I’ve also found them at my local natural grocers like Sprouts and Whole Foods. If you are looking to clean up your skincare routine of all the toxic goop found in conventional products, I highly recommend you try them out!